Dougie loves doing these vids!
Dougie is at it again! Here he shares some of his reading lesson from the day! Happy Tuesday!
We live and learn in a balance between home school and un-school. We do have some set lessons and routine that helps things go smoothly– although most of the time you can find us learning math by counting the hermit crabs atop the steep hill.
Doug and I write stories for Dougie that incorporate science, religion, math, social studies, history, art, etc.–so that he learns reading comprehension while getting a juicy story.
Dougie is really into making films, and part of our “curriculum” has him making story boards and drawing characters. He LOVES it. He wants to share more with you on camera, so here we go!
This video is just the beginning! We’ll have lots more.
This piece was written in 2009.. We’ve had MUCH more progress and made some more changes that I will continue to share. My book goes into greater detail, but I really thought that these steps would be of great value to you. Enjoy!
It is important to note that I studied my son’s deficiencies, intolerances and symptoms both by researching and by paying very close attention to his body. All of our treatments for the first 2.5 years have been either coming from whole food or herbal sources or through energy healing done at home by me. We have never hired a professional for these services (in the first 2.5 years). In the case of mineral deficiencies I have always (because of cost) made my own supplements by simply using foods and fermenting them… or buying whole food high quality supplements. I have listed helpful supplements at the end of this.
The first 9 months: In this time Dougie went from very sick (ear infection, pneumonia, sore throat, cough, and diarrhea) to very healthy. He gained back eye contact, focus and began identifying objects and people by name. This is also the time when we recognized his ability to retain information in memory. He began repeating everything he heard and even reciting it months later. He was still having major tantrums quite often, but was decreasing stimming (hand flapping, toe walking, staring into space, licking everything, brushing his face against the floor, spinning wheels, spinning himself etc, spreading feces all over himself and the walls.. these were not totally gone but were slowly drifting).
1. Began with 1 tablespoon young coconut kefir and slowly increased to 1 cup per day within a week
2. Made him lots of soups and blended foods that were easy to digest
3. Got him to eat cultured veggies by dipping blue corn chips into them or using stevia to sweeten them
4. Added digestive enzymes (Enzymedica Brand before meals)
5. Began following strict Body Ecology after 1.5 months of transition (this meant no fruit at all, no acidic veggies or mushrooms etc )
6. Made cultured foods about 40-60% of his diet (dips, juices, veggies, kefir etc)
7. Added in another probiotic (fivelac): saw more improvement in focus
8. Added cod liver oil: saw more improvement in focus
9. Added vitamin C
10. Added spirulina (saw amazing results… it was like his brain really kicked in and he began learning new things each day).
Month 10: Gone Raw: We were not progressing fast enough. I was feeling that Dougie was still sluggish and sad a lot of the time. He barely had any speech except repeating and labeling. So, we decided to go more raw…. My new motto became… Green it, Blend it, Ferment it
1. Began Donna Gates’ antiviral protocol which included no fats, no grains, no fruit at all for 10 days
2. Added enemas, castor oil packs, Epsom salt baths and skin brushing to our routine. : Dougie released lots of toxins through enema and began talking so much more after each enema… sometimes this speech miracle would only last a short while (10 minutes)
3. Increased morning green drink to 1 quart and added more greens to it (Vitamineral green etc)
4. Implemented energy healing (massage, reflexology, eft, reiki – saw amazing results like better sleep, happiness, calmness, less stimming, and again more speech. No colds, infections at all. He was also becoming interested in other people… but not yet really wanting to socialize
5. Added liver support (milk thistle, artichoke etc)
6. Cultured beet juice for liver cleansing and he released lots of toxins (parasites)
7. Added peter Gillian’s Natural Calm cal/mag supplement
The next year: Here we went almost 100% raw and vegan – no animal products at all. We used highly absorbable super foods and supplements. I began making elixirs of herbs and roots, fermenting more foods, and creating a rotated food schedule that allowed him more than what Body Ecology offered. On such a high probiotic-rich raw diet his body could now handle sweet fruits on occasion, beans, potatoes… we still had (have) an issue with protein digestion. He flourished here and began telling us what he wanted; taking interest in playing with other kids, spoke clearer every day, cognitive speech was really improving. He was very healed by end of year 2
1. Began each day with 1 quart green smoothie
2. Consumed 1 qt of yck per day
3. Baby spa ( skin brush, Epsom salt bath, castor oil pack and enema, then EFT before bed on the infrared mat.. with classical music) amazing results
4. Lots more time in nature (camping, hiking swimming) resulted in him being much more grounded… tantrums were finally dissipating
5. Mini juice feast… we began juicing (in rotation with smoothies)
6. Added hemp, chia, bee pollen , blue green algae, Vitamineral green and earth,
7. Began tummy massages to help stimulate digestion of protein
8. Added peaceful planet supreme meal protein powder
9. Created sensory learning at home… home school with other children and alone (helped very much socially and with him being grounded in himself
Beyond year 2: We continued on a high raw probiotic diet but I stopped worrying about diet…it was no longer my main focus. I studied reiki, shamanism, energy healing and began very intricate meditation on my own which helped bring us even further out of the darkness of autism. The movement and spiritual practices have helped him use his body in a more coordinated way. Combining this with sensory learning and practical chores like doing dishes and cooking food have helped him become a lot more balanced all over. – even in his thinking and expression). This is where I have realized that energy healing is a HUGE key to recovery. He has only been sick for 5 days in the past 2 and half years and we treat it all naturally. His autism truly unravels each day
1. Continued on diet with baby spa treatments ( he continues to improve each day)
2. Implemented structured yoga/exercise routine
3. Grounding exercises ( Gabriel Roth’s 5 rhythms, chakra balancing etc)
4. Exercises to jog brain development (criss -crossing legs, skipping, dancing)
5. Added e3 Live “Brain On” and saw amazing results
6. Added in marine phytoplankton and he literally lost a tic that he had
What’s Next: Now, his gut is healed to a point where we can really focus on his brain. We continue our diet but are much more flexible in what he can eat. He has had spouted wheat and raw dairy with no bad reaction. He has had sugar with no bad reaction. During winter months he eats more cooked food and has had egg and salmon as needed. Our energy healing practice increases daily. He now knows how to wash dishes, put on his own clothes, and turn on lights in bathroom – problem solving skills increase.
Here is a list of new supplements we will add for brain swelling, and cognitive development as well as immune support:
1. Zango brand mangosteen juice ( fermented)
2. Acai and goji juice fermented and fermented treats with these
3. Multivitamin (looking for highest quality)
4. Fish oil ( looking for highest quality)
5. Vitamin D
7. VSL 3 probiotic
8. Body Ecology brand ocean plant extract
List of some helpful healing herbs, supplements and super foods that we have used
- Young coconut kefir
- Cultured vegetables
- Cultured homemade juice and herb blends
- Blue green algae (spirulina, chlorella)
- E3 Live brain on (frozen)
- Marine phytoplankton (Ultimate super foods brand)
- Cod liver oil (green pastures brand)
- Peter Gillian’s brand magnesium calm (with calcium)
- Hemp protein
- Chia seeds
- Bee pollen
- Vitamineral Green
- Vitamineral Green earth
- Vitamineral Green Vitamin C
- Vitamineral Green Liver rescue
- Delenolate (olive leaf extract blend for antibacterial, fungal viral)
- Peaceful planet supreme meal protein
- Oil of oregano
- Lipolic acid
- Burdock root
- Holy basil
- Milk thistle
I’d love to help you create Bliss in your life through healthy eating and more! Contact me for your personalized session!
This Post was originally written in January 2011, at the beginning of our Bliss Tour! It’s cool to see how far we’ve come — buying and selling the RV, traveling the US and living in Mexico for 6 months. Life is BLISS!
Back in December 2010, I drew the “retreat card” from a deck of angel cards and the events that have ensued have been crazy style amazing. I gotta say that as an energy worker and one who constantly witnesses the results of the “super natural” in action –I’m quite the skeptic. I’m not one for tarot cards. I’m not one for listening to “guides” or psychics — UNLESS the messages ring true for me on a deep level. I mean logic has got to play some role in my decision-making.
That retreat card symbolized the simple sustainable adventurous life that Doug and I have dreamed of our whole lives. 2 years ago, the same energy brought us to Santa Monica, CA to get healthier, expand our minds and our business ideas. Things just move fast in Bliss Land.
We’re growing so quickly, we can’t help but feel the urge to use that expansive energy to spread the Bliss to you. I recently wrote a blog titled “How your intuition can save the world.” This trip is my husband’s and my intuitive answer to the next step in fulfilling our purpose.
How can we all live a more sustainable, Blissy, earth-loving life?
We hope to find out. Purging more possessions and gearing up to live in and travel via RV (on veggie fuel and/or zero emissions vehicles), composting, wild food forging, planting, unschooling, sharing from our hearts will help us discover that. So will connecting with all of you.
We feel that there is a better way to feel good and accomplish your goals, and we’re on the road to discover that. It’s time to change things around. Re-allocate the wealth to the people, shift our priorities and wake up to what we can do to help.
Our gift is primarily our energy and our experience. By giving of our truest selves we hope to inspire you to do the same and find your purpose.
Life on the Road
Do you know that at the rate of waste that we create — we actually require the equivalent of 3 planet earths to manage our crap? We cannot subscribe to that which so deeply harms our planet… anymore.
Need the Bliss Machine
We’re in search of a used RV that can be made to run on veggie fuel or some other sustainable fuel. We’re jumping without the net because our message has to get out there. If you know of an RV for sale… (or rent, buy, barter or borrow) send the deets our way.
Look Forward To
We’re hosting camping retreats, classes, potlucks and offering all of our current coaching and healing services. The only difference is that this time – it’s very likely we’ll be able to talk and work with you in person. Check our Tour Events link for scheduled cities, and blogs for our latest updates.
We’ll be incorporating energy Healing and Reiki in most of our workshops. Our final Santa Monica (Reiki Level 1 and 2) certification class before we leave, takes place this Saturday April 23. Please email me at Gina@BlissedLife.com if you’d like to join us.
Host Us in Your Area
I can’t leave you without some chocolate. My Italian Nana taught me better than that. For some of you celebrating easter next Sunday, you might like to make these for your loved ones as a much healthier option.
This is from my upcoming book, “Are You Eating Your Bugs?”
- 2 ½ cup raw organic cacao powder
- ½ cup cacao butter
- ½ cup – 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp Vitamineral Green powder
- 1 packet Body Ecology kefir starter
- 1 packet Body Ecology culture starter
- Glass jar or bowl with lid
- Candy molds of choice
Add-ins: sea salt, cacao nibs, and mesquite; cherries, cayenne and sea salt; maca, mesquite and lucuma; , cinnamon,maca, mesquite and lucuma; spirulina and mint; Gojii berries, bee pollen and anything else you like with your chocolate!
- Melt cacao butter at 80 degrees in food dehydrator or in double boiler
- Stir in cacao powder
- Blend with coconut sugar in blender
- Pour into glass jar
- Add green powder and culture starters
- Let ferment for 36 hours
- Add your add-ins
- Pour into molds
Refrigerate and Bliss Out!
Thanks to all of clients, friends and family for helping make our lives so full. We can’t wait to see what unfolds here.